How your podiatrists in St. Clair Shores, Warren, and Macomb, MI, can help when you have a bunion
Bunions are uncomfortable and ugly. When you have a bunion, it’s often difficult to know what to do. Fortunately, your podiatrist can help you get relief from bunion pain.
Drs. Anthony Benenati, Neil Shaw, and Mckenna Green at Benenati Foot and Ankle Care Centers offer a wide range of podiatry services, including bunion treatment. They have three convenient office locations in St. Clair Shores, Warren, and Macomb, MI, to help you and your feet.
A bunion is a large, bony bump on the side of your foot close to your big toe. You can develop a bunion due to a bone deformity in your foot, or if you wear shoes that are too narrow. Narrow shoes force your toes to clump together, causing your big toe joint to jut outward. The joint rubs against the inside of your shoe, causing irritation, inflammation, and eventually, bunion formation.
Prevention is key when it comes to bunions. Remember to:
- Wear wider shoes, with plenty of room for your toes
- Avoid high heels because these can push your toes forward
- Place inserts in your shoes to prevent friction
If you develop a small bunion, there are a few ways you can get relief. You can try:
- Icing the bunion for 15 minutes, several times each day
- Taping the bunion to support and cushion it
- Take over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medication
For medium to large bunions, it’s best to seek out the expertise of your podiatrist. Your podiatrist may need x-rays of your foot to determine the level of bone involvement, which will help determine what type of treatment you need. Your podiatrist may recommend:
- Removing corns and calluses to eliminate friction
- Stretches and physical therapy to keep your foot flexible
- Custom orthotics or night splints to realign your foot
If there is a large amount of bone involvement, surgical treatment may be indicated to remove the bunion completely and realign your foot. Your podiatrist can discuss this option with you.
To learn more about proper bunion care and bunion treatment, call Drs. Anthony Benenati, Neil Shaw, and Mckenna Green at Benenati Foot and Ankle Care Centers. You can reach them in St. Clair Shores, MI, by calling (586) 779-6140, or in Warren, MI, at (586) 756-3338, or in Macomb, MI, at (586) 416-3668, so call today!